Posts Tagged ‘visa’

Japan visa renewal does not include re-entry permit renewal

August 14, 2011

When I renewed my visa I naively assumed that it included an extension of the re-entry permit.

I didn’t find out that this is not the case until I was at Narita airport going through passport control.

Passport control officer: “So, you’re not coming back to Japan?”
Me: “Of course I’m coming back, I’m only going on vacation.”
Passport control officer: “So where’s your re-entry permit? This is expired.”
Me: “Here it is look, I renewed it in April.” *points to the new visa*
Passport control officer: “This is your visa. You also need a new re-entry permit!”
Me: %$!*

Luckily they issued one at the airport, but only for a single entry. I have to go back to the immigration centre to get a new multiple re-entry permit.

Japan visa renewal

April 8, 2011

My visa expires next month so I went on Google to find out what forms I need to fill in. Annoyingly most of the hits are to forum discussions and professional visa application services, but not to the actual information on the immigration service website.

Eventually I found them, and hopefully if I post the links here it’ll help anyone else who is looking for the same information in the future:

How to get a Japan re-entry visa in Tokyo

August 8, 2008

There are plenty of pages on the internet about how to get a re-entry visa for Japan, but anyway, here’s a summary of how to get one in Tokyo.

You need to go to the Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau in Shinagawa.  There’s a bus from Shinagawa station – take the Konan exit (港南口) and follow the signs.  You can also walk there, if you feel like getting a bit of exercise.  Here’s a map of the Immigration Bureau location.

What you need to take with you:

  1. Passport.  The original, not a copy.  They need to stick the re-entry label inside it.
  2. Completed multiple-entry visa application form.  You can download a blank application form from the Ministry of Justice website.
  3. Alien Registration Card (外国人登録証 – Gaikokujin Tōroko Shō).  If you haven’t received the card yet, you can take the “Issuance of Foreign Resident Registration Certification” (登録原票記載事項証明書 – Tōroku Genpyo Kisai Jikō Shōmeisho) which you should have received when you applied for the card at your local ward office.
  4. Revenue stamp.  The revenue stamp for a re-entry visa costs ¥6,000 and must be paid in cash at the convenience store on the ground floor.  If you forget to bring cash there is an ATM in the ground floor lobby, which conveniently accepts foreign cashcards.

Assuming there are no problems with your application, the re-entry visa will be issued immediately.